Frequently asked questions
- What is chewing gum?
- What is gum base?
- Is it true that chewing gum is good for oral hygiene and has other benefits as well?
- What can you tell me about other ingredients in chewing gum?
- Why is there generally no expiration date for chewing gums?
- Can chewing gum contain animal-derived ingredients?
- Can chewing gum contain allergenic substances?
- Is gum safe to swallow?
- Is there a risk of choking when chewing gum is swallowed?
- At what age can children begin chewing gum?
Is there a risk of choking when chewing gum is swallowed?
While chewing gum is not intended to be swallowed, it presents no greater risk of choking than any other food.
As with any food product, chewing gum, in exceptional circumstances, can present a risk of choking for children and even adults.
As such, we believe that mindful consumption and broad-based training in first aid response remain the most effective means of preventing choking.