Frequently asked questions
- What is chewing gum?
- What is gum base?
- Is it true that chewing gum is good for oral hygiene and has other benefits as well?
- What can you tell me about other ingredients in chewing gum?
- Why is there generally no expiration date for chewing gums?
- Can chewing gum contain animal-derived ingredients?
- Can chewing gum contain allergenic substances?
- Is gum safe to swallow?
- Is there a risk of choking when chewing gum is swallowed?
- At what age can children begin chewing gum?
Can chewing gum contain allergenic substances?
Chewing gum does not typically contain significant amounts of the eight major allergens that are known to cause most allergic reactions.
However, because chewing gum is a food, its labeling is governed by national labeling requirements, including requirements relating to allergen disclosure. Sensitive consumers with specific concerns about the ingredients contained in chewing gum should review the label and may wish to consult with the individual manufacturers.